Over 15 years on a variety of technology initiatives with government agencies across Canberra, Melbourne, London, and New York City. I have had lead roles on many consulting and advisory projects based around themes of strategy, risk, and change.
Recent highlights in my career include leading a Program Management Office for a multi-million dollar IT project (part of the ‘Obamacare’ implementations in the USA – for the State of Connecticut); and serving in a Strategic Account Management Role in NYC for a rapidly growing gov-tech firm focused on civic and citizen engagement through data and new mobile apps. Currently I am helping government agencies with their data governance and data management challenges, and am helping connect different parts of the data sharing ecosystem in Australia together.
I’m interested in Data Strategy & Governance, and Public Data. I recently published a book on Government Open Data and am exploring further research opportunities. I see great opportunities to harness the power of crowds for public benefit, I am intrigued at underlying factors than enable the Wikipedia and OpenStreetMaps projects.
My volunteering experience includes two years as a Board Member for the Australian Institute of Professional Photography, several months working with a leading indigenous school in Cape York Peninsula, and currently, as an advisor to the Wikimedia Foundation Audit Committee.
I completed an MBA from a top institution, and have several project management and data science qualifications, including, PMP, CISA, PRINCE2. For more details visit my LinkedIn profile.
Some recent updates:
- ACT State Director for GovHack 2018. We had over 200 active participants / mentors / sponsors / volunteers from across 45 organisations.
- A recent article I wrote for the mandarin on the potential for open data competitions can be such great events (Sept 2018).
- Guest speaker in the data stream, at the ACS Annual Conference in Canberra (Sept 2018).
- Public submission to the new Australian Government Data Sharing and Release Legislation (Aug 2018).
- Guest presenter at Geoscience Australia presenting on how Government Open Data is already improving many lives (June 2018).
- A discussion paper on understanding the risks and benefits of Government Open Data (May 2018).
- Presentations on Government Open Data to ISACA and DAMA and to executives from several Departments including: Home Affairs, Agriculture and Water Resources, Human Services and the National Archives of Australia (various dates since Nov 2017).
- Self published a book on Government Open Data – consolidating research from approx 700 articles, publications and discussions with leading experts over 12 months (Aug 2017).